APA bench comp results

WOW, shot bar-belle!!! Awesome stuff :clap:

Chur for the results J. Did any other NZBB'ers or Coast Barbell'ers compete in this one?

I did, I was dissapointed with my lifts though. I only hit 145 raw at 89.5 and in the warm up room I hit 157.5kg's with a 2 second pause.

I really stuffed up as I started warming up at 12pm when the lifting was at 1pm and when I opened with 145kg's it felt heavy, but I usually get 4 reps out of it. I suppose I'll know beter for next time... and to listen for calls, I'm still bad at that.

Chur for the results J. Did any other NZBB'ers or Coast Barbell'ers compete in this one?

I did, I was dissapointed with my lifts though. I only hit 145 raw at 89.5 and in the warm up room I hit 157.5kg's with a 2 second pause.

I really stuffed up as I started warming up at 12pm when the lifting was at 1pm and when I opened with 145kg's it felt heavy, but I usually get 4 reps out of it. I suppose I'll know beter for next time... and to listen for calls, I'm still bad at that.

why an hour warm up bro?

Was centre spotter for this say and I must say it was a good (albeit small) field of lifters. two lifters had bars drop on them, lucky we were adjusting the safetys for each lifter other wise some sternums may of broke!

Was awesome benching from bar-belle would of got more if it wasnt for my handouts being too low :doh: Also good to catch up with sasquatch who somehow has managed to put more size onto his frame. He will bench 250+ soon.

Lift of the day went to George Taamaru. 240 flew up, another 600lb bencher will be added to the list very soon. Whats most impressive is that george has 1 leg, he has incredible upperbody power and you can tell by looking at him he is a tank! thick delts arms back and chest, hope he does nats as he is a top contender.

serious question... if having one leg a disadvantage for bench pressing. i no having a stump would be as you couldnt drive thru your legs, but he must have some kind of artificial limb which i wonder if is still at disadvantage or even an advantage possibly? or no way?

train like you would like if it was a comp...get into the habbit of processing the lifts...set up, 2 sec pause for the 1st rep then tngs...after your last rep wait another second then rack, or if it helps get someone to call out the commands,

abit baffled as to why you would almost work up to a max effort in the warms ups and yet open on 145?, not sure on the logic there bro?

it mightve been better to do something like this in the warm ups

60x5

80x2

100x2

120x1

130x1

135x1

Opener

then maybe take second attempt at 157.5?

you always wanna open on something you know u can do 2-3 reps with. Not trying to bag you bro, just givin my 2c worth

145 at 89kgs is still bloody strong bro!

serious question... if having one leg a disadvantage for bench pressing. i no having a stump would be as you couldnt drive thru your legs, but he must have some kind of artificial limb which i wonder if is still at disadvantage or even an advantage possibly? or no way?

I would think it would be quite hard to get a big arch and also get any serious leg drive. Driving hard off one leg would cause some stability issues and weaken pressing power. I wouldnt say its a disadvantage. Wouldnt say its an advantage though.

According to the rule book any missing body parts are added onto your weight too. So depending what is missing and whether from a joint or below a joint there is a calculation of how much is to be added to your own body weight. So your weight is automatically upped even though you are missing a piece!

interested in your thought process here, as i see your 2nd attempt was only 150, were you planning to go above 157.5 for your 3rd? anyway still very solid benching!!

Lift of the day went to George Taamaru. 240 flew up, another 600lb bencher will be added to the list very soon. Whats most impressive is that george has 1 leg, he has incredible upperbody power and you can tell by looking at him he is a tank! thick delts arms back and chest, hope he does nats as he is a top contender.

:clap: :clap: :clap: That is hardcore. One leg and doing that .

How did he stabilize himself on the bench?

interested in your thought process here, as i see your 2nd attempt was only 150, were you planning to go above 157.5 for your 3rd? anyway still very solid benching!!

Thanks for your reply, yeah I was going to go 145, 150 162... but I think I need to re-evaluate my planning

why an hour warm up bro?

Just poor planning, I thought I had heaps in the tank :(

Thanks for your reply, yeah I was going to go 145, 150 162... but I think I need to re-evaluate my planning

RM i was just thinking the same thing Andrew you open on 145kg and you are in the fuckin warm up room doing 157.5 kg doesn't make f*ck load of cents to me just saying... waste off energy levels and the result prove it be smarter next time mate as you have a huge potential leave the ego at the door and smash it on the platform bro

cause as you know warm up rooms mean jack shit

RM i was just thinking the same thing Andrew you open on 145kg and you are in the fuckin warm up room doing 157.5 kg doesn't make f*ck load of cents to me just saying... waste off energy levels and the result prove it be smarter next time mate as you have a huge potential leave the ego at the door and smash it on the platform bro

Yeah... I agree with you, it was an ego thing.

Pretty depressing but I suppose it's a lesson learnt

You know the depressing thing mate..... you could off had a great outcome :wink:

Train hard Andrew and I'll see you at Auckland Champs next year

VP

20kg increases on bench attempts FTW... lol

George Taamaru has been a round a while, used to hold Auckland bench record with 260-270 i believe. Has represented NZ at the paralympic games in 2004 2008, has pressed 245 raw with legs laid flat on bench (IPC rules)

George is a beast helped him and Brian last year at the Para Nationals, they have great upper body strength, lying with their leg flat. All Bench well with no leg drive.

Good lifting at the APA Champs well done Guys especially BB. :clap:

You know the depressing thing mate..... you could off had a great outcome :wink:

VP

Thanks mate,

all the best and I'll see you next year :P

VP

Thanks mate,

Good on you mate, What I have said above mate is with the best intentions you have huge potential and you are young just don't be a dumb arse and waste all your hard training and awesome commitment in the past months in the warm up room bro... that's what the platform is there for good luck Andrew 8)

VP

Thanks mate,

Good on you mate, What I have said above mate is with the best intentions you have huge potential and you are young just don't be a dumb arse and waste all your hard training and awesome commitment in the past months in the warm up room bro... that's what the platform is there for good luck Andrew 8)

I'm really thankful for your advice and support and I agree with you, and thank you :) all that hard work and I even turned into a hermet, sleeping, eating, sleeping and training :(

At least I've learnt a valuable lesson, I felt miserable yesterday but the great feedback has helped. :)

Awesome Avatar BTW Jim Wendlers traps are INSANE!!!

VP = real talk.

Shame that Jason has been unwell prior to the comp with weeks off work etc with a virus..that Sasquatch is good for a 245-250 on the right day. Came in a bit heavier to at 171kg BW. Felt for Ray too who has a big bench on the right day.

VP = real talk.

Shame that Jason has been unwell prior to the comp with weeks off work etc with a virus..that Sasquatch is good for a 245-250 on the right day. Came in a bit heavier to at 171kg BW. Felt for Ray too who has a big bench on the right day.

How tall is Jason? He is MASSIVE!!! unusual to see someone that height with that bulk. Insane...

And he carried it so well, must have a 60 inch chest on him at least.

I'm 5'9 and he must be at least 6'10? I wouldn't be surprised if he was 7'0... and he took 400 pounds (181.8) and cained it in the warm up room.

Monster, a new Noah Steere!!!