YOU CAN EAT WHATEVER YOU WANT!!

JOSEF RAKICH

IIFYM

What does it mean though?

IIFYM (If It Fits Your Macros) means you can eat ANYTHING you want as long as it fits into your daily calorie requirements and daily macros split of protein, carbs and fats.

So basically what im saying is if you eat oats and brown rice compared to white bread and drinking coke for you choice of carbs it will have no difference at all on improving body composition. (as long as calorie intake is equal and macros targets are met) Drinking coke wont automatically make you gain fat.

The Glycemic index is also irrelavent now as well, even post-workout you dont need simple sugars like dextrose and what not to "spike insulin" you can have oats a slow digesting complex carb it will have no effect on improving body composition. (G.I is only needed for those who are diabetic).

So IIFYM - There is no list of foods your not allowed to eat and vice-versa there is no list of food you have to eat in order to reach your body composition goals. Dont think you have to give up pizza just because you want to lose some weight. General body composition is about calorie and portion control, not food choices.

Example:

500 calories of 40g protein, 40g carbs and 20g fats derived from chicken breast, brown rice and olive oil

Is equal too:

500 calories of 40g protein, 40g carbs and 20g fats derived from a peperoni pizza!

Also meal timing and or meal frequency is NOT needed or important. (hitting your daily calorie requirements and macros targets is)

You dont have to eat 6x per day it has no effect on the metabolism or metabolic rate, you can eat carbs late at night before you go to sleep, it wont automatically make you gain fat. Too much bro-science myths.

When people say that eating at night causes fat gain, in a way it does sound like it would make sense because your going to sleep and you arent going to be expending much energy. But when look at that from a biological standpoint it is bogus because your body works more on a 24,48,72,weekly - what ever you want it - NET balance. It is constantly in an anabolic and catabolic state, constantly breaking down and repairing, constantly storing and oxidizing. So it really doesnt matter when you eat, or how frequently you eat, its the overall balance that matters, so your either in a caloric deficit or a calorie surplus. Hit your macros targets however and whenever you want throghout the day and there will be no difference in body composition. You can go 6 or so hours without eating, your muscle wont fall off or shrink or get attacked by the catabolism monster, you have to look at the bigger picture. A daily basis, calories in VS calories out. Calories are a form of energy, they cannot give you any more or any less of what they are.

Deficit calories you will lose weight.

Surplus calories you will gain weight.

It comes down to is application and awareness. Some of you wont bother to change your opinion and theories, some will have a hard time accepting it, while others will be interested to learn more and excited that there is more than one way. Remember that people get results because they apply themselves to what they do, not because their way is the best. Scientific literature > broscience.

Too much broscience crap and pseudoscience of meal frequency, composition, timing, clean vs. dirt etc, it needs to stop. Yea sure i still eat my oats every day i still eat healthy and what not but i also fit McDonalds and home made pizzas into my daily macros every single day. Basically what im trying to get through is eat good and healthy foods but if you want to eat skittles because its your favourite food, then sure fit it into your daily macros and eat your skittles. No problem.

READ THIS THREAD:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthrea ... =132053723

Macros = Macronutrients for those of you who diddnt know.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

noob question but does 100gm bread have the same number of calories as 100gm sugar? I get the feeling sugar is much higher, and therefore if your a person who likes to eat alot of food its best to eat the bread as bread would be more filling when comparing 100gm bread to 100gm sugar??

You can’t just count out

- GI ‘rate of digestion’ when looking at the biological effects of carbohydrate absorption

- quality of protein, ‘what is the protein make up in terms of essential amino acids? levels of branched chain amino acids for muscle growth, and availability of those amino acids from the food during digestion according to the food types structure and denaturing through food prep.

GI ‘glycemic index’, the rate in which carbohydrates are absorbed is important. Your body for the most part will maintain it’s levels of blood glucose whatever you eat, it has to, failure to maintain it’s equilibrium and allowing levels to climb can result in arterial and organelle damage amongst other things. so eating carbohydrates high or low GI has little bearing on blood sugar levels, but that’s not our measure of dietary success. The question is what is happening behind the scenes, what processes does the body have to action in order to cope with a large influx of glucose at one time, and what sequence of events will occur down the line as a result, a ‘trickle down effect’. Glucose that is not needed in the blood, liver or muscle is stored as fat, there really is nowhere else to go. quick absorption means higher levels at one time compared to slow absorption so therefore results in higher storage levels of glucose as fat. Slow releases of glucose in to the body because of slow absorption (low GI) allows the body to use more of the sugar over time rather then just storing it. Also it is less then wise to over rely on insulin regulators and insulin receptors with levels of blood glucose that are far from natural in terms of what our body is designed to encounter in our diet (see natural hunter gatherer or even farming lifestyles versus our post industrial obesity lifestyle of today). Body composition, metabolism and body function is reliant on regulatory hormones, guess what insulin is a regulatory hormone, and you don’t have to have diabetes to have an inefficient or poorly balanced system of metabolizing and regulating glucose in the blood.

So GI is important, and lower GI carbohydrate sources are important because they are less likely to cause fat being stored, and unhealthy metabloic effects. This is only a simple overview way of explaining this, but basically

4 bottles of coke is not the same for your body in terms of how the carbohydrate calories are ‘treated’ compared to a mix of fruits, vegetables, legumes as part of a mixed varied diet. You know this is correct.

And now we talk about proteins...

Different foods have better or worse bioavailability of their nutrients depending on the structure of those foods, other present enzymes, cooking/preparation processes. Basically the amino acids in meats are those that are needed for building new tissues, muscles etc. like meat; both eggs and milk proteins have the amino acids needed, but they also have better bioavailability, this means your body will absorb and use more protein from eggs and milk products then it will from meat.

Something like a meat patty has meat, but also lower grade wheat or other grain proteins added. so a hamburger, cooked, seared and probably slightly burnt can’t compare with a raw eggs of the same quantity, or a concentrated whey powder. And like GI in carbohydrates sometimes you want faster uptake of amino acids into the body say after a workout, and other times you want those proteins released slower say over night while you’re sleeping

so a couple of hamburgers doesn’t compare with a couple of eggs, whey powder, and a tenderly cooked meat serving even with calories being the same.

just remember once you put food into a biological system it is going to react with that system, according to the needs of that system, and it will be in accordance with whats gone before. its important that you look after your body and think carefully about what you put in it, I only outlined two or three ideas as examples but there are lots of ways macronutrients combine with other factors and can’t be explained so simply. no stupid diets, you can’t eat crap and get away with, well maybe once or twice but as part of a diet all the crap eating is planting seeds that will rear their ugly heads one day maybe in the form of a stroke, cancer etc, remember life is about balance, besides think about the things we haven’t covered, salt levels, preservatives, pestacide residues, trans fats, the list goes on....

make healthy ‘clean’ choices

noob question but does 100gm bread have the same number of calories as 100gm sugar? I get the feeling sugar is much higher, and therefore if your a person who likes to eat alot of food its best to eat the bread as bread would be more filling when comparing 100gm bread to 100gm sugar??

Yes you are right. But what JR was getting at was if you eat two different foods with the same biological value in regards to the macro nurtients then it will do the same thing.

I used to eat MacD's every week when I was losing weight with WW. I just had to make sure that I enough points for it. I would still lose. The same prinicple is being used by JR, if you have to 'points' in your macro count then why could you not eat what you want. BTW you could always make your own burgers or pizza and then you would know what you are putting in your mouth.

Guys listen, JR is speciailist nutritionist and has all the qualifications. He studied the Anatomy and physiology of the human body till there is no more to study.(NOT!!!!!!!!!!!)You startin to piss me off mate, cause basically what you telling me is that everything i'm studying for at the moment and paying good money (as far as education goes) is all wrong.

GI ‘glycemic index’, the rate in which carbohydrates are absorbed is important. Your body for the most part will maintain it’s levels of blood glucose whatever you eat, it has to, failure to maintain it’s equilibrium and allowing levels to climb can result in arterial and organelle damage amongst other things. so eating carbohydrates high or low GI has little bearing on blood sugar levels, but that’s not our measure of dietary success. The question is what is happening behind the scenes, what processes does the body have to action in order to cope with a large influx of glucose at one time, and what sequence of events will occur down the line as a result, a ‘trickle down effect’. Glucose that is not needed in the blood, liver or muscle is stored as fat, there really is nowhere else to go. quick absorption means higher levels at one time compared to slow absorption so therefore results in higher storage levels of glucose as fat. Slow releases of glucose in to the body because of slow absorption (low GI) allows the body to use more of the sugar over time rather then just storing it. Also it is less then wise to over rely on insulin regulators and insulin receptors with levels of blood glucose that are far from natural in terms of what our body is designed to encounter in our diet (see natural hunter gatherer or even farming lifestyles versus our post industrial obesity lifestyle of today). Body composition, metabolism and body function is reliant on regulatory hormones, guess what insulin is a regulatory hormone, and you don’t have to have diabetes to have an inefficient or poorly balanced system of metabolizing and regulating glucose in the blood.

So GI is important, and lower GI carbohydrate sources are important because they are less likely to cause fat being stored, and unhealthy metabloic effects. This is only a simple overview way of explaining this, but basically

4 bottles of coke is not the same for your body in terms of how the carbohydrate calories are ‘treated’ compared to a mix of fruits, vegetables, legumes as part of a mixed varied diet. You know this is correct.

Your still back in the 1990's bro. You have to look at the bigger picture. A daily basis, calories in VS calories out. Low G.I carbs will still spike insulin lol, they just release slower, again LOOK AT THE BIGGER PICTURE.

4 bottles of coke is equal to what you just listed if the amount of carbs was both equal, the effects on body composition would be the same.

f*ck up about the ninteys already would ya... if your taking it extremes like having four bottles of coke for your carb source then of course itll effect your body composition as mike zero said - other things have to be taken into account for hard training athletes or are you just talking about ur fat clients who dont have a shit show at looking good ever? these things are quality of sleep which if your eating shit food to get your macros wont happen, mood and mental state... how can you train hard if you dont feel good? these things are also what determine body composition and the way someone will look.

some of the stuff your saying is pretty brainless, id like to see novice trainer following this shit you spin... what a joke.

f*ck up about the ninteys already would ya... if your taking it extremes like having four bottles of coke for your carb source then of course itll effect your body composition as mike zero said - other things have to be taken into account for hard training athletes or are you just talking about ur fat clients who dont have a shit show at looking good ever? these things are quality of sleep which if your eating shit food to get your macros wont happen, mood and mental state... how can you train hard if you dont feel good? these things are also what determine body composition and the way someone will look.

some of the stuff your saying is pretty brainless, id like to see novice trainer following this shit you spin... what a joke.

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

I think you guys just need to STFU, hes cut like a diamond, im pretty sure he might know a thing or two.

I eat KFC all the time, train hard and have a good diet to balance.

And my results are far better than everyone on strict diets at my gym.

Not at all shocked or surprised by what hes said

Great post Lemon :nod:

People also need to remember that our bodies are not calorimeters. What's absorbed, and how, matters. Not just what we shovel into it. I can understand how IIFYM works in the short term, but Josef you can't truly believe that if you ate nothing but take aways and highly processed foods for the rest of your life, whilst hitting your target calorie and macros that there would be no negative effects on body composition? To take it to the extreme, I think decomposition would count as a rather large negative effect :lol:

I agree IIFYM can be used to allow a person to give in to cravings on a daily basis etc, provided they're still eating quality foods as a part of their diet. But the way you're telling it makes it seem as though someone could drink dextrose, chicken fat, and whey and as long as calories and macros are equal look and perform the same as someone eating what would be considered by most as a healthy and balanced diet. I find that too hard to swallow, as I believe most members here also do.

I'll endeavour to read that BB.com thread, but it would be helpful to your argument and everyone's understanding of the concept if you could provide something more credible than your word. Given your crusade against bro-science, it's rather hypocritical that you're yet to post even one peer reviewed article or piece of literature with significant referencing.It would help immensely as I guarantee you the majority of people here aren't going to sift through a 17 page thread (most of which I have no doubt is full of BB.coms usual worthless dribble, with a few gems if you can find them) to try and find something to help explain IIFYM further than the very basic descriptions you have provided.

Great post Lemon :nod:

People also need to remember that our bodies are not calorimeters. What's absorbed, and how, matters. Not just what we shovel into it. I can understand how IIFYM works in the short term, but Josef you can't truly believe that if you ate nothing but take aways and highly processed foods for the rest of your life, whilst hitting your target calorie and macros that there would be no negative effects on body composition? To take it to the extreme, I think decomposition would count as a rather large negative effect :lol:

I agree IIFYM can be used to allow a person to give in to cravings on a daily basis etc, provided they're still eating quality foods as a part of their diet. But the way you're telling it makes it seem as though someone could drink dextrose, chicken fat, and whey and as long as calories and macros are equal look and perform the same as someone eating what would be considered by most as a healthy and balanced diet. I find that too hard to swallow, as I believe most members here also do.

I'll endeavour to read that BB.com thread, but it would be helpful to your argument and everyone's understanding of the concept if you could provide something more credible than your word. Given your crusade against bro-science, it's rather hypocritical that you're yet to post even one peer reviewed article or piece of literature with significant referencing.It would help immensely as I guarantee you the majority of people here aren't going to sift through a 17 page thread (most of which I have no doubt is full of BB.coms usual worthless dribble, with a few gems if you can find them) to try and find something to help explain IIFYM further than the very basic descriptions you have provided.

And I think that about sums it up. Repped.

My diet is perfect I hit my macros targets every day. I hit my calorie requirements, bang on. (well i did before i got sick with glandular fever). Food choices do not matter, hitting your macros by the end of the day does matter. Hit your macros however you want, whatever foods you prefer its all personal preference.

Every day my daily macros is as follows:

Protein - 300g

Carbohydrates - 350g

Fats - 70g

This is my daily diet and my food choices every day:

Meal 1 - Protein + Oats (proats)

Meal 2 - Home made pizza

Meal 3 - Lean chicken breast (or) steak + Rice + Vegetables

Meal 4 - Home made pizza

Meal 5 - McDonalds (Chicken deluxe burger + Large fries)

*Workout*

Meal 6 - Protein + Oats (proats)

Meal 7 - Protein ice cream + Peanut butter

General body composition is about calorie and portion control, not food choices.