WTF is 'clean' and why does it even matter?

Cameron_R

All over this forum and lately in another thread (Subject: If It Fits Your Macros) people

keep banging on and on about eating 'clean', but they fail to define WTF they

mean.

Shutupandsquat wrote "by 'clean' they just mean 'clean'ing the diet up. Getting

rid of all the bad fat sources and reducing bad carb sources."

Others have talked about bad and good carbs inferring that one is 'clean' and

one isn't.

What do you think is the definition of 'clean'? and if you can't define it

simply, why do you keep using the term?

Is 'clean' related to types and levels of fat?

If a lean steak is 'clean', What about a homemade lean lamb sausage? what about a sausage?

Is blue milk 'clean'? What about feta? What about high fat Double Cream Camembert?

Is peanut butter 'clean'?

Where do you draw the line - seems arbitrary to me!

Or do you think that 'clean' is about highly refined carbs?

If lollies are not 'clean' then why do so many have something with high sugar

with their protein shake for a post workout meal - does this make their meal not 'clean'.

Seems to me that the term 'clean' in relation to diet and food is complete BS. I'm yet to see anyone define it, or even use it consistently.

If you can't define it for me, how can you tell me it even matters!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

High sugar post workout spikes insulin, that's the rationale behind that.

Yep. For sure. That was part of my point.

If high sugar is an excellent part of a post work out meal, why then is it classified as not 'clean' for the other 90% of the day?

It serves it's purpose, when you use it correctly.

'Clean' just seems like a BS term to me.

What I meant to say was,

try you sausage and lolly diet then compare the results to a steak and protein shake diet.

I'm not saying all foods are created equal. I'm saying that the label 'clean' is BS, because almost all foods have a place somewhere/sometime.

normally it refers to processed and unprocessed foods.

That's not what I've seen from a bunch people here lately. I'm not saying you're wrong, maybe they are wrong.

Who the f*ck knows?

I just think it's a buzz word that shouldn't be used.

processed foods normally have high sodium contents and contain preservitives, thickners, stabilzers etc.

clean food is rice over pasta, oats over breads, chicken breast over chicken sausages.... a clean meal for myself would be low in saturated/animal fats most importantly.

it is abit of a universal term in that peoples interpretation of something is always going to differ based on their standards and how its related to what the individual wants to acheive.

your second part of the question "why does it even matter?" there is no substitute for healthy food. simple

normally it refers to processed and unprocessed foods.

That's not what I've seen from a bunch people here lately. I'm not saying you're wrong, maybe they are wrong.

Who the f*ck knows?

processed foods normally have high sodium contents and contain preservitives, thickners, stabilzers etc.

clean food is rice over pasta, oats over breads, chicken breast over chicken sausages.... a clean meal for myself would be low in saturated/animal fats most importantly.

it is abit of a universal term in that peoples interpretation of something is always going to differ based on their standards and how its related to what the individual wants to acheive.

your second part of the question "why does it even matter?" there is no substitute for healthy food. simple

well said man

if your saying a big mac has the same quality protein etc than a piece of rump steak then good luck to you.

:roll: who said that?

I'm not saying all foods are created equal. I'm saying that the label 'clean' is BS, because almost all foods have a place somewhere/sometime.

Now we're getting somewhere.

I have no problems with the intent - eat better food for what you are trying to achieve. But what I'm seeing is that advice is dished out in the form of 'eat clean', when the meaning of that is probably different almost every time. At least you (Tom) explain yourself most times others just sprout the phrase and then sit back hoping nobody will ask WTF they mean.

I probably just need to drink less coffee and chill. Just because I'm at work on a sunday is not a reason to get pissed at an entire forum for the use of one dumb buzz word.

Who the f*ck knows?

well said man

Thank you.

if your saying a big mac has the same quality protein etc than a piece of rump steak then good luck to you.

according to rakich calories are calories

technically they are if you want to simplify it to that. i have had a debate on here with 'Phedder' about this i cant remember what thread it was perhaps he might be able to remember and he could link it. lots of good info was shared.

physiques like rakish's gentically have very fast metabolisms and more often than not they are using some kind of drugs such as ephedrine, proviron and clenbuterol etc, especially if mcdonalds is being eaten daily. mcdonalds is absolute shit food!

haha get a homemade hamburger and a mcdonalds cheseburger... put them both under your car seat and leave them for 3 months i gaurantee you the mcdonalds burger will look pretty much the same as when you bought it but the homemade burger will be unidentifiable. thats the sorta processed shit you are putting into your body, basing a diet purely on calorie counting is fucken brainless.

for the average person there is abit more to it than to say a calorie is just a calorie imo

technically they are if you want to simplify it to that. i have had a debate on here with 'Phedder' about this i cant remember what thread it was perhaps he might be able to remember and he could link it. lots of good info was shared.

"Cut the junk food. When asked what foods he stays away from, Warren is quick to answer: junk food. “For me personally, if I eat junk food, I don’t feel good. I feel sluggish and tired. That’s why the first four or five meals of the day are good meals. If I do eat something bad, that’s just my mental break; I’ll only do that at night.”

Calories are important, as we state in rule number five, but they shouldn’t come from low-quality foods like candy, chips, pizza or French fries. Such foods pack an overabundance of what are often referred to as “empty calories,” which provide sugars and fats with little if any redeeming nutrients. Many contain trans fats, which are not only associated with cardiovascular disease, but also can limit muscle growth and encourage muscle breakdown. Although a fast-digesting carb like sugar is good after a workout, it’s horrible any other time of day for the same reason it increases insulin levels. Boosting insulin while at rest encourages fat storage and leads to pangs of hunger and drops in energy.

A particular problem is high-fructose corn syrup muscles can’t use fructose for fuel, so it’s sent to the liver where it is converted to glycogen. Once the glycogen levels of the liver are full, fructose is converted into bodyfat."

Author: Jim Stoppani

References:

http://www.muscleandfitness.com/

http://www.flexonline.com/

COPYRIGHT 2010 Weider Publications

COPYRIGHT 2010 Gale Group

Lol dont believe this argument is still going

"Clean" to me is foods that are as close to pure as possible without preservatives, thickeners, sugars and colourings etc. Changing what it naturally was to keep it shelf stable, or make it taste better, look better or sell better. I liked the steak vs big mac comparison. A home cooked steak vs a big mac pattie. Similar foods, different macros and different acceptable levels of contamination. Im sure different quality protein too.

for the average person there is abit more to it than to say a calorie is just a calorie imo
Agreeing on this, and to extend that idea, for an average person enthusiastic about health and performance, I'd hope they'd want to put the best foods in them. Not just think cal counting and multi vits are how pros do it. That's how your mum does it on the Jenny Craig system. n____ n

Best results will come from a diet rich in clean calories, and perhaps the gaps filled with dirty cals and supps.

Five-simple-substitutes-that-lead-to-a-healthier-diet.jpg

Is it just me or does anyone who eats clean most of the time feel like a million bucks? (mainly cause fresh produce costs a million bucks)

I somewhat remember, and from what I can recall we were actually arguing the same point, but took far too long to realise it :pfft:

Did a quick search and couldn't find that topic but did stumble across When is a calorie not a calorie? which covered the topic very well and from many different but well educated view points. Well worth the read for those that haven't seen it and are interested in the subject :nod:

Damn that meal looks awesome. I eat Mcdonalds and feel like absolute arse afterward. In fact any fast food i do. But its nice once in a while

I eat McD's every day pre-workout, high sodium, high carbs high fat.

Perfect for achiveing a intense muscle pumps, if you eat low fat low, low carbs, low sodium shit all the time your going to get weak pumps etc. The first time i had McD's pre workout omg i think i spent the whole workout feeling my chest was just insanly pumped like never before. So tight like i have never felt before.

Not that the pump is necessary though but its cool none the less.

Also sodium is important for bodybuilders anyway.

Damn that meal looks awesome. I eat Mcdonalds and feel like absolute arse afterward. In fact any fast food i do. But its nice once in a while

Perfect for achiveing a intense muscle pumps, if you eat low fat low, low carbs, low sodium shit all the time your going to get weak pumps etc. The first time i had McD's pre workout omg i think i spent the whole workout feeling my chest was just insanly pumped like never before. So tight like i have never felt before.

I just got a visual of you with your pants down, visable underwear, bordline low & rubbing your chest ..... not a image i needed when I am heading off to bed.

must try mcd pre workout though if it gives you ab's like that.

true true, did it keep you full over the workout?? as the calories are empty