why knee wraps

maassive

hey darksiders. im interested in learning more about powerlifting and wanted to ask around about knee wraps and other accessories.

basically, why bother with them? I've never really been a fan of getting special shoes and gloves and every other nick nack. I do my lifts barefoot mostly and don't wear a back brace and shit, but of course - i don't lift very heavy yet.

Is this somehting that one should acquire as their getting into it, or do you wait till your knee caps are bulging before buying them?

cheers for your input

basically, why bother with them?

They add weight to your squat :) I was sceptical as to whether or not I'd bother at first, mainly because I had no idea of why they work. But sure enough, I added them into my training about a month ago (for max or near max attempts) and I'd estimate I add 10-15kg to my squat with them :nod:

Is this somehting that one should acquire as their getting into it, or do you wait till your knee caps are bulging before buying them?

IMHO, build up your squat before you start using them. From what I've seen of others that introduce them earlier in the weight range, it can become easy to rely on them, and it gets tougher to squat without them.

As for other accessories? It really depends on how far you want to take powerlifting...

I'm interested in hearing some of the more experienced guy's thoughts on wraps in particular :nod:

I agree with Drizzt.

I use wraps every week but I'll generally only use them on my last set so I don't rely on them too much. I may use them on my second set if I'm looking to eke out an extra couple of reps.

What the wraps do (if they're tight enough, but they don't have to be super tight) is just help to extend your knees. Sort of like an elastic band really. You stretch the band and when you let go of the band it returns back to its original state. So when you go down in the squat the elasticity helps extend your knees. I guess someone else could explain it better but they help with growth AND strength and it's worthwhile to get them. Make sure they're about 1-1.5 meters long.

I agree with Drizzt.

I use wraps every week but I'll generally only use them on my last set so I don't rely on them too much. I may use them on my second set if I'm looking to eke out an extra couple of reps.

What the wraps do (if they're tight enough, but they don't have to be super tight) is just help to extend your knees. Sort of like an elastic band really. You stretch the band and when you let go of the band it returns back to its original state. So when you go down in the squat the elasticity helps extend your knees. I guess someone else could explain it better but they help with growth AND strength and it's worthwhile to get them. Make sure they're about 1-1.5 meters long.

Agree. I use them for heavy squats and leg presses. They just hold every thing in nice and tight. I see it as prevention to injuries. got to prepare for when Im an old man

I agree with Drizzt.

Agree. I use them for heavy squats and leg presses. They just hold every thing in nice and tight. I see it as prevention to injuries. got to prepare for when Im an old man

I have kudos to you Jim; just for the f*ck of it! (possibly homo)

I agree with Drizzt.

I have kudos to you Jim; just for the f*ck of it! (possibly homo)

Right back at ya!!

My 2 cents.

In the squat, your knee extensors (quads) are generally weaker than your hip extensors (glutes).

When squating with no knee wraps, the maximum weight you lift will be dictated by how strong your quads are, which is usually lower than what your glutes could lift during the squat.

By squatting with knee wraps, you are able to lift more weight due to the fact that you are supporting the knee extensors (quads). Which means that you will be able to overload your hip extensors (glutes), which is good for pushing up your squat numbers.

IMO - No knee wraps = squat weight dictated by how strong your knee extensors (quads) are

With knee wraps = stronger knee extensors = bigger weight lifted

Thanks heaps guys - really helpful info here.

I'll hold off getting them for awhile because I've only been squatting for 6 months and I'm still enjoying squating at 6-10 reps for stability/core/back. (Plus got spinal surgery in a bit so no point pushing the back too hard til that's done).

I thought the elastic analogy was quite helpful too - makes a lot of sense.