NZ's bodybuilding, strength and fitness community
Sign in to follow this  
Stef

Harbour Fitness Glenfield

NZBB resident Harbour Fitness Reporter, Dubble D, will no doubt give you the full run down.

If you ask, he may even pay your casual fee and show you around the gym, for free.

:roll:

NZBB resident Harbour Fitness Reporter, Dubble D, will no doubt give you the full run down.

If you ask, he may even pay your casual fee and show you around the gym, for free.

There you are!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

There you are!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

How could I resist you :shrug:

Don't you train at Glenfield, SM?

I've only been there once, but here are my thoughts:

- Looked like it had a strong bodybuilder community there - some big guys around.

- I remember being surprised that some of the gear felt a little tired. Although that might have been because I'd just come from the recently-opened Harbour Fitness Queen St, where everything was new and shiny.

- They do have some nice machines too. I'm pretty sure MichaelK was dating their leg press. :pfft:

- Looked like it had a strong bodybuilder community there - some big guys around.

- I remember being surprised that some of the gear felt a little tired. Although that might have been because I'd just come from the recently-opened Harbour Fitness Queen St, where everything was new and shiny.

- They do have some nice machines too. I'm pretty sure MichaelK was dating their leg press. :pfft:

I think they broke up on account of her wanting to service other members :P

I'm pretty
MichaelK was dating their leg press. :pfft:

Someone had to show her a good time, you just looked at her not knowing what to do, all confused and lost like an Amish Virgin at a Strip club

In the end, she only liked one postion so I started dating other leg presses who were into some more kinky positions that made me feel :shock: :^o :shock:

Nah, finished up there earlier this year...

The "sponsored" membership ran out so I moved to a gym closer to home.

Other than the leg press MK was so in love with, I found most of the other machine equipment in the Main Gym useless. Not built for bigger guys.

Free weights were ok, the heaviest dumbells (62.5kg) were brought over from the old Ellice Road gym so other than that the new dumbells didnt have much range (stopped at 40kgs i think).

I've poked my head into the ladies gym once or twice to pick up the mrs...looks fairly basic and boring...very unmotivating...

Cardio area ok, again, half of the machines are from the old gym.

The problem with the Main gym is its too busy at the best of times.

Be prepared to wait for machines etc...

When the hardcore gym opened, I spent all my time down there and didnt train in the main gym at all. Nice and quiet and less homos.

Cool thanks guys, by the sounds of it it gets really busy and I hate busy gyms and waiting for machines, I was interested in the School of boxing that has just opened up too cos I love boxing, might stick with my gym at the moment and when the memebership runs out look at HF

Cool thanks guys, by the sounds of it it gets really busy and I hate busy gyms and waiting for machines, I was interested in the School of boxing that has just opened up too cos I love boxing, might stick with my gym at the moment and when the memebership runs out look at HF

In that case, I've heard the School of Boxing is pretty good...

Know a couple of up and comers who visit there weekly on top of their home boxing gym. They seem to come far and wide too i.e. all over Auckland.

You may want to go along and try it out...

Well, the writing was certainly on the wall for a while. This from the NZ Herald... :?

Gym hires investigator to track former boss

Staff at a North Shore gym have hired a private investigator to track down a former boss who left them thousands of dollars out of pocket in the weeks before Christmas.

Bing Xu owes 13 staff at Harbour Fitness more than $35,000 in outstanding wages and holiday pay, after his failing company was evicted from its Wairau Valley premises in November for missing lease payments.

Read more...

Bing Xu?

:lol:

You know where his Mother lives, you know of his houses- think like a triad and apply that pressure..........

Bing he will probably magically reappear!

Im a member of Harbour Fitness, and I was largely unaware of the troubles it was having, other than the fact the boxing gym seems closed it is business as usual.

A few things to note about the gym is:

Before 5pm it is never busy, and its not really that packed afterwards.

It is very rare that people unload barbells or loadable machines, and people always put dumbbells in the wrong spots.

The management, or at least the people below the gym, seem to complain at even the slightest crash from dropped weights, i've been growled at for dropping dead lifts from about 1inch of the ground on a lifting platform.

I wont name names, but some personal trainers are very helpful, social and offer to spot. Others stalk around the gym glaring at you as if they hate being there.

I would advise caution to anyone thinking of joining up at Harbour Fitness - they appear to be in a bit of money trouble. 6 months ago when I last renewed my membership I had the option of paying $10.95 per week for unlimited access to the Glenfield Gym and classes or $14.95 for unlimited access to Glenfield, Birkenhead, Ellerslie, Harbour Hardcore, School of Boxing, etc. I went to renew recently and now have the option of $15.95pw for access to Glenfield only or $19.95 pw to include the School of Boxing. Also, since I last renewed the aircon units have gone from the main gym, as have the paper towel dispensers, there is rarely any hand soap in the dispensers, and machines often stay out-of-order for weeks at a time. They have also removed the long term renewal incentives (2 free weeks if you join for 3 months, 4 free weeks for 6 months, etc.) and you can no longer freeze your membership if you need to take a month off.

There has been no communication of these increases to members. I only found out because I asked. So, that's around a 50% increase for a whole lot less facilities.

I know a lots of members who have left over the recent months. It's a shame because it's not a bad gym.