What do you do with egg yolks?

Pseudonym

I have a confession to make. It's a problem I have with using all these egg whites that bodybuilders go through.

I just can't bring myself to throw away the yolks.

Other people don't seem to worry about discarding good food, but I have ethical issues with it. :?

So I've decided to freeze them, for use in my next bulking phase. I chuck them into ice cube moulds, then transfer them into a plastic bag when they're frozen.

Does anyone else have this problem?!

post-2-14166816690726_thumb.jpg

I think we all have this prob... Depending on the amount of eggs actualy eaten per day... I eat three yolks a day, and the others i throw out simply due to the fact that i know if I did freeze them, they would simply fill up the freezer and never get used... Boil em and give em to the birds... they love them!

But I feel so guilty!! :oops:

The current plan is to use them up in lots of chocolate mousses as part of a bulking diet.

I'm in the last stages of a pre-competition diet right now, so my dreams are filled with chocolate mousses... And cream donuts... Perhaps the odd custard pie... A few danish pastries... Hell, even plain ol' bread!

**pauses to wipe drool off chin**

Chocolate mousses sound good!! Don't forget you are stiil going to be eating eggs during your bulking phase, so you will still have plenty of left over yolks!! That's alot of yolks dude.. How many eggs a day do you eat?

In the mean time we will all dream of the custard pies, chocolate mouses and donuts you mentioned!

Well, I WAS eating 6 eggs a day (2 whole, and 4 whites), but I've just increased that to 10 (2 whole, 8 whites) while I go through the pre-comp carb depletion.

I'm thinking that once I go back to bulking, I won't worry about separating whites from yolks - after all, nearly half the protein in an egg is in the yolk, and the majority of the fat is unsaturated fat (the good stuff). I'm not sure quite what my post-comp diet will look like yet, since I've actually gained more lean muscle while cutting down (:D), so it'll need to be updated.

By the way, I found the answer to my question above on the NZ Incredible Edible Egg website...

Q: How can I store leftover egg whites and yolks?

A: You can refrigerate raw whites for up to 4 days and unbroken raw yolks, covered with water, for up to 2 days in a tightly sealed container. If you can't use the yolks quickly enough, hard cook them just as you would cook whole eggs in the shell, drain them well and refrigerate them in a tightly sealed container for up to 4 or 5 days.

For longer storage, freeze raw whites, sugared or salted yolks and cooked yolks for up to 1 year.

To freeze egg whites, break and separate the eggs, one at a time, making sure that no yolk gets in the whites.

Pour the whites into freezer containers, seal the containers tightly, label with the number of egg whites and the date and freeze. For faster thawing and easier measuring, first freeze each white in an ice cube tray and then transfer to a freezer bag or container. Substitute 2 tablespoons thawed egg white for 1 Large fresh white.

Raw egg yolks require special treatment because the yolk's gelation property causes it to thicken or gel when frozen.

If frozen as is, the yolk with eventually become so gelatinous it will be almost impossible to use.

To help retard gelation, beat in either 1/8 teaspoon salt or 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar or corn syrup for each 1/4 cup egg yolks (4 Large yolks). Label the container with the number of yolks, the date and whether you've added salt (for main dishes) or sweetener (for baking or desserts) and freeze. Substitute 1 tablespoon thawed egg yolk for 1 Large fresh yolk.

Which probably means I have a freezer full of gelatinous egg yolks. Ah well, maybe my mousse will still work. Maybe. :cry:

• 3 months later...

An update on my gelatinous yolks...

The good news is they still work perfectly well - they taste the same, and have the same consistency when cooked as normal yolks do. The only thing to note is that they won't mix in with other eggs easily - they have to be beaten in.

But I can confirm they do indeed make good mousses. :P

I'm also thinking of making a sauce (I think it's Hollandaise that has lots of yolks?) for use over tuna. I haven't tried this yet, but I fully expect a culinary masterpiece. :wink:

• 7 months later...

Actually, I just used some last night - a green peppercorn sauce uses four yolks, and is a welcome change to plain ol' steak.

The downside to this sauce is a whopping fat content... In addition to 4 yolks, it has 50g butter, 1/4 cup cream, and 2 tbps sour cream. However, you only need a small amount, and I'm sure the peppercorns are an effective thermogenic! :pfft:

they came out alright after all that time being frozen? I often give some yokes to my dog like mentioned, though often I eat all the eggs and only take out 1 yoke in 5 , bad for me , I dont know but I dont have any problems I know of.