Why Bodybuilders are More Jacked Than Powerlifters

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
Pretty obvious really.... Does any one ask why powerlifters are stronger than bodybuilders? Wow maybe because they train for different objectives.

nah mate its not that simple

you need to read the science behind it all and find at least 5 different articles with references :lol:

I personally think it is a good article. From my perspective there is lots of crossover and I think it demonstrates that both disciplines can benefit each other. For example powerlifters can use some of the bodybuilding techniques to improve weak points and bodybuilders can obtain more thickness and density by lifting heavy weight with lower reps. Obviously this will not work all year round but it's something to think about.

Powerlifters can be a little bit close minded at times.

Some interesting points in there, although they never actually defined the term "Jacked". I assume they mean most muscular, in that instance of course BB are more jacked as that is their goal. This is something the article even states when it says that if training for maximal strength leads to bigger muscle gains then all BB would train like powerlifters.

I thought that diet might have been worth a mention. I would think that BB would agree that is a massive part of the training and probably as, if not more important than training. P'lifters should ensure they get plenty of protein for repair and recover but don't need quite as much attention on their diet (respect to all BB's, I couldn't do handle a comp diet).

The point about stronger tendons was also a good one and probably something that you don't think about. I read something about a greater risk of tendon tears when using PEDS. Time under tension would definitely be a good thing for BB's.

Muscle and Tendons:

The use of steroids can make a person feel stronger than they actually are, resulting in trying to lift heavier weights than their body is actually capable of, which can lead to muscle tears. The muscle can get stronger more rapidly than the strength of the tendons then a greater possibility of tendon rupture is likely to occur.

I personally think it is a good article. From my perspective there is lots of crossover and I think it demonstrates that both disciplines can benefit each other. For example powerlifters can use some of the bodybuilding techniques to improve weak points and bodybuilders can obtain more thickness and density by lifting heavy weight with lower reps. Obviously this will not work all year round but it's something to think about.

Powerlifters can be a little bit close minded at times.

I think bbders are worse Doc - embrace both disciplines I say. Everyone needs to develop great technique but you may as well look good at the end of all that training. Powerbuilding :nod:

depends what version of jacked were talking about i guess?

Bodybuilders: Overall pumped and swoleness?

Powerlifters version of jacked, well is getting fat :grin: please referr to Rules of Rhodestown and the council of fatties

This got me thinking about different versions of the same sport and how different they look.

Why are ......... more jacked than ............

Sprinters & Marathon runners

Butterfly Swimmers and Scuba divers

Javelin throwers and Darts players (c'mon...take either one in the eye and it's going to sting a little)

Any others?

Heres a controversial one, why are the bodybuilders on this site stronger than most of the powerlifters? lololololol

Tricep kickbacks and cable concentration curls lol.

So thats where Ive been going wrong! lol

Funnily enough bro my powerbuilding includes lots of these movements.

How do you rate kickbacks? what rep range do you use? as a tricep movement what do you see as the benefits?

Bad example sorry. I don't do them. I do lots of pushdowns with a rope/cable/band. Overhead extensions with rope/cable. Higher reps of 15-20. I like these as they give my elbows a rest from pressing. And they directly target the triceps. This approach 3-4 times per week as extra workouts has helped my bench.

I tend to think that what you call power building is just how guys that started me off bodybuilding trained and so consequently how I have always tried to train. Overload equals progress over time, very simple concept really. I think we have some PLs on the site who would blow the BBs out of the water if we follow their workouts, but in saying that I reckon they might also find it hard following my workouts?