What is basic nutrition?

PeterDolan

as in basic knowledge of nutrition?

i think knowing what you need to eat and quanities to achieve the goals you want. using your activity level,goals etc to figure out ur correct macros to reach your target.

then using that and picking the correct foods and/or supplements to eat/drink

well a basic understanding of nutrition would be knowing what a calorie, carbohydrate, protein and fats are and being able to distinguish the good and bad kind of each of those. most people with some kind of up bringing and half a brain should have an idea of basic nutrition even though they might not exercise their knowledge in a practical sense. i could go on but i cant be bothered and will prob offend someone with what i am going to say.

well a basic understanding of nutrition would be knowing what a calorie, carbohydrate, protein and fats are and being able to distinguish the good and bad kind of each of those. most people with some kind of up bringing and half a brain should have an idea of basic nutrition even though they might not exercise their knowledge in a practical sense. i could go on but i cant be bothered and will prob offend someone with what i am going to say.

So that's basically all that people mean?

Elaborate if you want, people get offended easilt anyway on here so f*ck 'em

well thats all it means to me i could try make it sound better but ya cant shine shit. its all pretty basic really unless of course ur competing at an elite level when it will most likley get abit more scientific. everyone knows what a healthy meal is and what a healthy meal isnt, or should i have been a fucking astronaut?

lol..did you see that tv show with the fat parents and 2 fat daughters..the pt asked the lady to name a healthy food and she said "trifle"

Had a coffee with a friend the other day, that truly believe carrot cake is extremely good for you, I said macro wise it could be similar to any other cake and she said "no, it is different cause it is full of veggies and other good stuff"

Yup, basic nutrition should be understanding of macros and what foods consist of the macros.... Knowledge of whole foods over processed foods and benefits from whole foods.

Agree with Hennie, I know people who think muesli, a few slices of toast is a "perfect breakfast" "its not fatty so its good for me" LOL!

Basic nutrition = basic knowledge aka common sense about food. I.e eating fiber with your meals so you can shit and thus eat more meals. And understanding that you need to consume more energy than your body needs to get bigger. Stuff that escapes alot of people.

lol..did you see that tv show with the fat parents and 2 fat daughters..the pt asked the lady to name a healthy food and she said "trifle"

Had a coffee with a friend the other day, that truly believe carrot cake is extremely good for you, I said macro wise it could be similar to any other cake and she said "no, it is different cause it is full of veggies and other good stuff"

Carrot cake makes you see n the dark, my mum said so O___O

I know so many people who think the same, ahh so sad.

On this site at least, you have to add the hidden word

"Basic Bodybuilding Nutrition"

Your average Joe who wants to stay healthy and not get fat will have very different nutritional needs than what everyone on this site keeps calling basic nutrition.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there, The foods containing the nutrition's and calories helps much in this era and fulfill the basic requirements of the body and keep you healthy one.......

well thats all it means to me i could try make it sound better but ya cant shine shit. its all pretty basic really unless of course ur competing at an elite level when it will most likley get abit more scientific. everyone knows what a healthy meal is and what a healthy meal isnt, or should i have been a fucking astronaut?

Lol, youd go good at NASA bro

A good start for promoting good nutrition is to understand what our body needs in the food we eat. Most people are educated about the food guide pyramid. However many people are unaware of how their nutrients need work within the body.

Basic nutrition in the context of this forum. A few basic guidelines.

Having an awareness of the following:

- we should eat every 2-3 hours (wait for some scholar to rubbish this);

- we should eat a serve of carbs and protein with every meal;

- we should eat 5-6 serves of fruit and veges a day;

- we should be drinking 8 glasses of water a day;

- whole foods are better than drinking calories;

- A cheat day once a week maybe a good thing;

- Keep it simple.