strained trap from deadlifting?

Sims

I'm not sure if its the lower part of the trap, or romboid but I have managed to strain the upper right part of my back (left is dominant side) dead lifting. Not a serious injury but it is a sharp pain when I twist my core.

When deadlifting I focus on keeping my lower back straight, but haven't really put a lot of thought into the upper back - not sure how I managed to do this.

I'm doing the usual Ice then ice & heat treatment and will take some time off to let it heal, but am a bit concerned that if I don't workout what I did wrong I will just go and do it again.

Could this be from a rounded upper back or other form issue? is there a position my shoulder blades should be in?

Heh, I had something similar recently (and still recovering from it) - turned out to be the shoulder slipping out of the capsule and pulling on the trap.

I'm not necessarily saying this is what you have, but it is what I did when heavy deadlifting and I initially thought it was a trap problem too! Apparently it's quite common (so the House Doc tells me). Got worse and worse before having it checked out - sleeping on it was a real pain - I suggest getting it looked at by a physio.

Good luck :)

thanks for the reply guys, even though the shoulder capsule problem doesn't sound good its a little re-assuring to know this injury is reasonably common - everything I found when I searched was about lower backs.

I'll take your advice drizzt and go see the physio, getting tired of only being able to sleep on one side or my stomach!

might be time for me to find a PT who is really switched on regarding deadlifts too