Overtraining & Undereating

ThePman

...about as long as it took me to warm to benching tonight :roll:

Good work bro

Squatting to a max goes fast when you only rest a minute or two between reps :lol:

17-May

Squats up to 140

Inclines up to 95

Pullups, me x15

Left a lot in the tank, on purpose. I almost didn't come tonight as I'm dragging a bit -- woke up almost 2 hours early and couldn't get back to sleep, and dropped a whole lot of water at the same time.

Tomorrow's off, front squats etc. on Thursday. May or may not be off Friday, still playing the deloading by ear.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you can't do one, do negatives and lots of pulldowns and curls until you can.

If you can do one, do lots of ones until you can knock out 3-5 reps.

If you can do reps, combine weighted chins for ones, threes and fives (I like 5-6x1, 4-6x3, or 3x5 as rep ranges), and ladders (rounds of 1/2/3 and on up to 5-6, preferably adding weight when you can but mainly working on racking up volume).

Adding weight has always been my bread and butter for increasing reps as I can almost always knock out a set of 15 with little training as long as I can do work with 30-40+ on the belt. The sooner you can add weight and crank out 3-5, the better. If you really want to grease the reps, focusing on BW ladders at higher reps is a good way to do it.

Pullups (and chinups) are the kind of exercise where you'll struggle forever to get one...and then you break the seal and progress won't stop for a few months.

19-May

Front Squats, up to 130, missed 140

Close-grip Bench, up to 105

some pumping stuff for DB bench and guns

I'm still supposed to be taking it easy this week, but 140 was taunting me so I had to give it a try. I at least managed to reverse it out of the hole this time :lol: but didn't quite have it in me to grind it out today.

No backoff sets this week. The pump stuff was mainly so I don't feel bad about the McDonald's I'm about to eat :lol:

Weighed right at 83kg today.

20-May

Squats, up to 160

Push Press, up to 85 for two singles

Decent session. Finally got past that 80kg stall on the push press, prolly cause of the extra close-grip bench sessions. Squats warmed up very well but then got surprisingly grindy around 150, so I left it at 160. Will see about breaking these through to 165 next week.

20-May

Squats, up to 160

Push Press, up to 85 for two singles

Decent session. Finally got past that 80kg stall on the push press, prolly cause of the extra close-grip bench sessions. Squats warmed up very well but then got surprisingly grindy around 150, so I left it at 160. Will see about breaking these through to 165 next week.

22-May

Squats, up to 165

Box Squats (low-bar, IPF-stance), 140 / 3 singles

Strict Press, up to 70, 60 / 3x2

couple sets of DB rows and shoulder raises

Almost didn't go today, so of course I hit a higher top weight.

Threw in box squats just for the sake of it. Not really any stronger here, and they never do anything for my free squat so I doubt they'll be regulars.

Inclines, up to 100 (missed a 105 by a hair)

lockout?

fronts are looking strong bro :clap: 8)

It just got really really slow around the midpoint. Diana gave it a nudge and it went on its way, but I don't count it as a lift.

Fronts are going. I'll get my balls up and break 140 one of these days :lol:

24-May

Squats, up to 165, 135 / 3x2

Close-grip Bench, up to 110, 85x3, 95x2 / x 3 rounds

Chins, +30x2, +15x2 / x 3 rounds (four sets with +30)

Weighed 83.1 today so that puts the squat one kilo off double body weight. 165 went up with enough gas in the tank that I was tempted for 170, but that'll come soon enough. This is the second time I've hit 165 so it's getting broken in.

24-May

Squats, up to 165, 135 / 3x2

Close-grip Bench, up to 110, 85x3, 95x2 / x 3 rounds

Chins, +30x2, +15x2 / x 3 rounds (four sets with +30)

Weighed 83.1 today so that puts the squat one kilo off double body weight. 165 went up with enough gas in the tank that I was tempted for 170, but that'll come soon enough. This is the second time I've hit 165 so it's getting broken in.

Do you think there is merit in "breaking in" 1rms mate? i always seem to be hit and miss the first few attempts, when i first hit 3 plate bench some weeks it was on and some it wasn't.

I think there is. I used to be aggressive in trying to drive my weights up, but over the last few years I'm finding better progress (and fewer injuries) by being conservative and letting weights ripen before I try to push them higher. Chip away at it for a few weeks or however long it takes, then add a little and repeat.

It's about confidence-building as much as physical strength gains, too. Once you've hit a point where you don't miss the weight, you're going to lose your fear.

26-May

Front Squats, up to 135, 105x2, 115x2

Close-grip Bench, up to 110, 85x3, 95x2 / 2 waves

Clean-pull Deadlifts, 140x2, 160x2 / 4 waves

135 was a grind. 140 might or might not have gone up, but I wouldn't have put money on it after that rep. The 110 CGBP was way easier than I'd thought; I should have hit the 115.

Weighed 82.0 on the way in...and 81.6 on the way out. I like it when the scale goes down and the numbers keep going up :lol:

pump'ntone for DB press and curlz

\:D/

T-Lovely, what you been up to? This your six-month check-in? :lol:

getting ready for a show bro?

You have permission to shoot me if that ever comes up.

31-May

Squat, up to 165, 135 / 5 singles

Incline, up to 100, 80 / 4x3

Chins (neutral grip), +30 / 5x2

pumpntone sets on the leg press for quads & calves

I'm starting an experiment this week, upping carbs and ratcheting up the training volume to see what happens. The inclines and chins took a small but noticeable hit due to training "chest" and "biceps" yesterday, but I expect this will adapt (everything else has).

I only weighed 83.4 so clearly not much yet :lol: