• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5-May

Front Squats, singles at 90, 100, 110, 115, 120, 125, 130, then 105 / 3x2

Bench (close-grip), up to 105, then 85 / 2x3, 95 / 3x2

Clean Pulls (hooked), 140 / 8x2

I've been pretty consistently under 83kg this week. Reviewing my numbers from my last Broz cycle, I'm pretty consistently hitting where I was at ~90, so that's a very good sign. Not quite sure if top-end rested-and-peaked strength is in the same ballpark, though it's certainly feeling that way minus the core-stability deficit. Will be nice when squats get to a consistent 160 for front and 180 for back at under 85.

Will be nice when squats get to a consistent 160 for front and 180 for back at under 85.

under 85 bring on the cuts!

160 front and 180 back squat are some solid goals to hit at under 85,

Yeah. Last time I did anything respectable with 180 or higher I weighed over 200 lbs and closer to 220. It would be nice to at least get back to a triple at over 400 lbs. Injuries willing it should be doable. Repeating old glories is never as hard as getting there the first time.

6-May

Squats, singles up to 150

Push Press (off boxes), 60x3, 65x3, 70x2, 75x2, 80x2*, 82.5 / 2xAlmost, 65 / 2x3, 70 / 3x2

Chins (ladders), +25 / 2x1/2/3

* This was a really ghetto double in that the first rep went up but didn't completely lock out, which I count as a technical miss. But I felt it go wacky from the start, so I immediately did the second rep and finished it.

Wasn't feeling very motivated on the squats so I just worked up to a single and called it done.

10-May

Squats, up to 150, (belt) 160, half ROM, 170x2, 180x2

Inclines, up to 100, 80 / 5x3

Chins (neutral grip), +30 / 5x2

Pretty hungover today and the right knee's been acting up a little after front squats, but it was nothing squatting to a max couldn't fix. I think the $3 Big Macs helped.

This is the sixth week of Brozing, around 30 max-squat workouts in that time frame. It's getting to that point where I can expect a 5kg boost every 7-10 days, give or take, and I feel absolutely invincible.

Maybe. Everything I'm "gaining" now is tracking back over previously covered ground and that's always easier than your first time in unexplored territory. I won't be personally convinced until I get back to a consistent four plater squat and then see gains on top of that. I think my best squat at sub-200 lbs is something like...maybe 415-425 weighing maybe 195. I really have no idea where strength will cap out at a BW of under 190, but I won't know til I get there.

Broz says his guys average 6-7kg gains per month, which is believable when he's got guys weighing 85-95 putting up no-no-no squats with 240-270 -- and then there's Max -- so I'm being optimistic.

PS - the star theme is exactly what goes through my head when the Broz Meter charges up :lol:

Pman do you think the high frequency maxing has any merit for a competitive powerlifter? I know that Broz does mention it in the q&a thread. Interesting that even coming up to a comp his lifters are still maxing out on the competitive lifts the day before and the comp is basically another training day.

I posted this guy on the first page, but it's worth seeing again. This is Broz's guy Jacobi Jordan:

240 Squat / 170 Bench / 260 DL @ 88kg

This was a last minute decision and was treated like a normal training session. AAU federation = NO gear. Singlet and shoes only. Not even ammonia was allowed.

Personally (and this is a qualified "personally") I enjoy training this way...there's no mental pressure coming into a session, and it's one of the best systems I've ever used. The only limitation is the time constraint (not everybody can or wants to be in the gym 6-7 days a week, which I understand) and there's a break-in learning curve which would probably weed out most people, because this is not an easy training style.

I'm doing okay on it this go-round because I knew what to expect coming in and I've gotten pretty good about gauging what I can do on any given day. It fits my likes and needs, so we're a good match. Whether that applies to anyone else is between you and the barbell.

For what it's worth, I think most anyone should try some "crazy training" at least once, just to see...you can't ever know how you'll respond until you do it. If I were to ever compete again (never say never, I guess) I couldn't see myself doing anything different. Even if I weren't going full Broz, I'd approach the same loading strategy with three or four or however many sessions, basically Mike Bridges's program.

tl;dr, yeah I think PLers would do great on this. It requires a change in thinking ("oh noes imma overtrain" -- no) and a change in the way you look at the lifts (you have to think speed/explosion vs. GRIND TIL IT HURTS, and you have to be willing to take the shit days when they come -- and they will, and you won't have any need for assistance work since you do the lifts so much), but I've found no reason why a PLer couldn't do very well on a daily-training approach.

12-May

Front Squats, up to 130, 140x crisis of faith*, 110 / 3x2

Close-grip bench up to 105, 95 / 5x2

Clean Pulls, 140 / 3x2

* The 130 rep went up easy enough with a bit of a grind so I figured I'd run 140 even though I wasn't feeling all that charged up coming in. I rode it down to the bottom and lost confidence, so I ditched it on the pins before even attempting to turn it around. It'll happen within the next 2-3 tries, as I have a feeling 140 is more a mental barrier than physical.

Pulls had no speed behind them so I left it there.

If I'd felt more "charged" today and thought I had a real shot of getting it, I'd have dropped back to 120 and worked back up for another shot. But that last set was already a what-the-hell attempt, so I decided to leave it there as I always feel a little off after the rest day.

It was a judgment call.

Took the day off today. No reason in particular, just didn't feel recharged yet. I'm looking at taking it easy over the next few days, let the battery get some juice back. I may only squat to a max 3-4 times this week to get a deload in.

I may only squat to a max 3-4 times this week to get a deload in.

Stuart McRobert et al would probably faint if they read that sentence :pfft:

It does sound a bit ridiculous doesn't it? :lol:

16-May

Front Squats, up to 130

Close-grip BP, up to 110

standing DB rows for one set of 10

I like this deloading business, I was done and out the door in under 20 minutes :lol: