Overtraining & Undereating

ThePman

It's been awhile since I've kept a journal. The last one languished toward the end of last year as I had no real goals to chase, and I wasn't doing anything of interest at the gym.

The last few months, since New Years, I've been unofficially dieting. I've gone from ~90 to 81-82 (83-84 after carbs). A lot of pudge has come off even if I still don't have abs, and that's what's been driving me lately.

No, I will not be getting on stage. That's my promise. Refer back to this line if any questions come up. I'm putting this journal down here in the regular-lifting area because I have no more competitive goals in mind.

Training has been minimalist over the last few months, with sessions on Tuesday, sometimes Thursday, and Saturdays (which is carb refeed day and has been very bodybuilder-ish). Now that I've leaned out a fair amount, I'm starting to add more carbs in on workout days and add more workout days.

I was being tentative about it, but after my old adductor injury started acting up I decided I needed squat therapy. So I'm going to a six-day version of that John Broz program I used last year.

Template is squat & (incline or push) press alternated with front squat & (snatch/clean/roundback) pull. Squats and presses work up to a daily max, then down 10% (or 20kg, whichever is easier in my head) for backoff sets of 1-3 reps.

Pulls go 6-10 doubles in the 70-85% range, preferably hook gripped. I'm wanting to focus more on a 2nd pull extension with the snatch & clean pulls.

Various assistance exercises round it out. I need lots of upper back work to keep my shoulders happy, though they're much more cooperative after dropping the bench the last 3-4 months. Inclines and overhead work get the job done.

Rest days will be Weds, when schedule doesn't allow a workout, and whenever the dead battery hits. I give this a week, maybe 10 days before the Dark Times hit.

First session was today (7-April)

Front Squat, bar x whatever, 60x3, 80x2, 90x1, 100x1, 105x1, 110x1 (8ish), 90 / 3x2

Clean Pull Deadlifts (hooked), 140 / 8x2

Barbell rows (straps), 100 / 3x3

I would have gotten 115 and maybe 120 if I'd gone for them, which isn't bad after not front squatting for months and dropping a ton of weight. Not trying to get too aggressive too quickly with this, though. Broz giveth and Broz taketh away if you get greedy.

Back squats and push press tomorrow night.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers fellas.

The low-grade soreness has already started in the legs. The next few weeks are going to be fun while that adapts. Then the weekly PRs should start coming.

My motivation:

240 Squat / 170 Bench / 260 DL @ 88kg

This was a last minute decision and was treated like a normal training session. AAU federation = NO gear. Singlet and shoes only. Not even ammonia was allowed.

This is what can happen when you squat to a max every day :lol:

8-April

SQ (high-bar), warmups, 110x2, 120x1, 130x1, 140x1 (9ish), 125 / 2x2

Push Press (off boxes), 60x3, 65x2, 70x2, 75x1, 80x1, 82.5xMostly, 70 / 3x2

Chins, +15 / 3x5

Tonight's Mystery Pain was the right glute.

- Squats. These have taken the hardest hit by far after dropping so much weight. Belted they're a little better. The goal of this training is to train with as little assistance as possible; if this goes like it did last time, this number will start to improve pretty quickly.

- Push Press. Happy about this. These have taken very little hit, and tonight I actually weighed 82-dot-nought, so that last attempt was technically body weight. It went overhead, but didn't quite lock out all the way so that's a technical miss.

The Broz meter maxed out around the fourth or fifth set, despite the early sluggishness on the warmups. It's nice when the juice turns on like that.

Volume's on the low side right now while I'm getting my stride. I cut the last backoff set of squats due to the glute being funny. I expect to be hitting closer to 8-10 sets on the way up, and more like 5-6 back-offs once I get back in the swing of this.

Front Squats and Deadlifts tomorrow for Carbapalooza.

9-April

Front Squats, 80x2, 90x1, 100x1, 105x1, 110x1, 115x1 (8-9ish), 100 / 3x2

Deadlifts (hooked), 140 / 8x2

several sets of pulldowns and DB curls for kung-fu pump action

Today's Mystery Pain: None (honorable mention to thumbs for hook grip)

I thought of going for 160-180 for singles, but I remembered I'm trying to stay conservative for now. I was using the slippery bars so that was for the best.

Felt pretty drained this morning. Workout charged me back up.

Squats and Inclines with some shoulder/tricep action tomorrow.

Sunday AM squat therapy

10-April

Squat, 100x2, 110, 115, 120, 125, 130, 135, 140 for singles, 125 / 4x singles

Inclines, 70x3, 75x2, 80x2, 85x2, 90x1, 95x1, 85 / 3x2

high-rep pump sets for delts and tris

Weight was back up a smidge to 83.3 after carbs yesterday.

Turned the volume up a bit on the squats. Didn't quite have the reserve to hit dubs and trips on the way up so I left it at singles.

great to see you back under the bar Matt 8) LMK if you want to hook up for a session....see you and D at the Aucks lift.

Thanks D. I just remembered that we haven't even been up to see the place since you moved offices. I'll get up with you to head up one of these weekends.

11-April

Front Squats, 80x2, 90x1, 100x1, 105x1, 110x1, 115x1, 100 / 3x2

Snatch Pulls, (hooked) 140 / 2x2, (straps) 4x2

Mystery Pain: none

Weight was back up a hair over 84 after carbs/junk food over the weekend. I'm starting to get into that Broz Zone where I love and hate training.

12-April

Squat, 100x3, 110x2, singles with 115, 120, 125, 130, 135, 140, 145, 130 / 5 singles

Inclines, 70x3, 75x2, 80x2, 85x2, 90x1, 95x1, 85 / 3x2

Chins (neutral grip), +30 / 5 singles

Felt a little worn down as this was a later session. Broz meter charged up and I was fine.

Tonight's Mystery Pain: little niggle in the right hip flexor and minor agitation of the biceps tendons.

Weight was up a hair, 84.5 (normal for Tuesday weigh-in)

14-April

Front Squats, 80x2, then singles with 90, 100, 105, 110, 115, 120, 105 / 3x2

Clean Pulls (hooked) 140 / 3x2, (straps) 3x2

Barbell Rows, 100 / 3x3

Definitely a little CNS depletion happening as evidenced by the grip illusion.

Today's Mystery Pain: right hip flexor and glute.

Weight was back down to 83 even.

15-April

Squats, 100x3, 110x2, singles with 120, 130, 140, 145, 130 / 3x2

Push Press (out of rack), 60x3, 65x2, 70x2, 75x1, 80xMostly, 82.5xNaw, 70 / 3x2

Chins, +15 / 3x5

Mystery Pain: right shoulder/bicep

Weight was 82.9. Definitely holding a little more...something...from this training, as last week was 82.0 at the end of a downward slope.

Tomorrow is front squats, deadlifts and guns.

16-April

Front Squats, 80x2, singles with 90, 100, 105, 110, 115, 120, 105 / 3x2

Deadlifts (hunched & hooked), 140 / 8x2

Pulldowns and DB curls for mad pump action

Today's Mystery Pain was right bicep/shoulder.

Reserve for 125 is getting there, should break in some time next week. DLs feeling a lot better after practicing the Peoples-style exhalation when roundbacking.

17-April

Squats, 110x2, singles with 120, 130, 135, 140

Push Press (off boxes), 60x3, 65x2, singles with 70, 75, 80, 82.5, 85 (push jerk)

pump-up for shoulders and triceps

Today's Mystery Pain: right bicep. This needs a good ART session, as I wound up skipping squat back-offs and the 3-boards I'd considered doing because of it.

Missed session last night due to schedule conflict, and Weds is normal off day. I considered trying to make it up, but after squatting to a max 12 days out of the last 14, I didn't figure it would hurt anything.

Back to squatting tomorrow.