NZ's bodybuilding, strength and fitness community
Sign in to follow this  
matt !

running in the morning on empty stamoch

i got told me you tend to burn muscle tissue > fat when your running on a empty stomach as soon as you wake up, or something along those lines.

Is this true, i don't really care about performance, i know eating before a run is going to make you perform better, i want to burn fat and not lose any muscle tissue.

any ideas ?

Going for a brisk 50 min walk on a empty stomach first thing will burn fat, not muscle. The higher the heart rate the more chance of losing muscle.

I walk and keep my heart rate around 115. Mind you the weight vest probably takes it a bit higher. :pfft:

if you still worried about wasting muscle then dont run to much do brisk walking

running is fine... iv have been running shit loads latley and my muscles not magically dissapearing.

i have been running to and from the gym or sometimes just from the gym after training. unless your running really long distances for long periods of time i dnt see why you would loose muscle providing your having adequate food intake.

If your talking about running rather than LISS you definately do not want to do it in a fasted state. Carbs before or during moderate intensity exercise like a 30 minute run won't slow down fat burning and will also increase the intensity and obviously the cals you burn while your doing it and they will also spare your glycogen stores which basically help protect against your body breaking down muscle to use as energy.

Best fat burning and muscle sparing way to do cardio imo is to do 15-20 mins HIIT in the morning after some oats and or a shake with BCAA's. You won't burn as much cals during the actual cardio itself but it raises your metabolism and you end up burning more throughout the day.

If you want to burn fat exercise 1st thing in the morning at a moderate heart rate is a must. It will also increase your heart rate for many hours afterwards. I have tried most methods imaginable and dodumented the results and moderate exercise before brecky is he most effective at fat burning

20 -40 mins Skipping or Run with a finishing sprint effort, best fat loss results ive had. Im not a morning person though ha!

Dont worry about loosing muscle, just dont exhaust yourself or do something crazy like full effort sprints with press ups inbetween lol.

20 -40 mins Skipping or Run with a finishing sprint effort, best fat loss results ive had. Im not a morning person though ha!

Dont worry about loosing muscle, just dont exhaust yourself or do something crazy like full effort sprints with press ups inbetween lol.

If your goal is to lose fat/body fat but still have muscle

HIIT (High Intensity Interval training) is the best training.

Example of my Cardio/HIIT in the morning:

5min jog to the park

100m sprint - 100m jog back (recovery time)

Then repeat ~ how many times i repeat depends on how im feeling ;)

5min cool down.

Booyah. Done. Then Weights in the evening.

Just google image a marathon runner and a sprinter.

Sprinter = Ripped

Marthon = Skin and bones.

But thats worked for me.