Balance Physique as Dinner suppliment?

HazelM

Why do you want an alternative to dinner? Food is your best option always will be. Supplements are just that.. to supplement your food intake, not to replace it.

Mainly because I'm taking on a workload which is quite big this year and find myself skipping meals as I don't have time. My flatmate suggested it as an allternative, but I wanted more advice before trying it. Hence my posts :)

My 2c worth... in pursuit of the balance between training goals, life goals and the rest, some times we have to make compromises.

Yes, whole foods are better, and many of the folks on here can give you tips on how to help fit more whole foods into your day, but if it's a choice between:

a) getting the right calories, in the right proportions of protein-carbs-fats, by having a shake or two across the course of the day, and

b) not getting the right calories, or the right proportions, because you can't always make it work;

then a protein powder isn't necessarily going to destroy your hard work.

If your year's going to be hard, one of my hints to fit in whole foods is batch-cooking. Brown rice will keep in the fridge for a few days, so too chicken breasts - with a George Foreman grill or similar, you spend the same time cooking three pieces as you do one, and the others will be there when you need them.

Again, my own 2c worth... half shakes and half real food's a pragmatic compromise...

What matters, I believe, is less the source of the food as the overall protein-carbs-fats ratio....

If your real food has approximately the same content, in terms of net grams of each, as the shake, then you should be fine, unless you're in the absolute last stages of preparing to compete in a bodybuilding competition.

You can find the content information in the NZ Food Composition Database if that helps.

• 1 month later...

Thought I'd let you all know that this is working out really well for me now.

I have a supplement shake in the morning for breakfast and half a banana,

I also have a supplement shake for dinner together with a 2egg and spinach omelette.

I feel full afterwards and am maintaining my weight and figure with the regular exercise plus it saves me so much time with such a busy schedule.