Cardio before or after weights?

Cameron_R

My current goal is bulking, but at the same time I need to keep my fitness up (ie keep my heart healthy). I can not handle more than a few days without cardio, it helps to keep my stress levels low. Usually I ride my bike to work 3 to 4 times a week, giving me 2x25min cardio sessions a day with plenty of hill work included. My bike is in the shop at the moment getting a chain replaced, so I'm thinking I'm gonna go to the gym early tonight and do some cardio before my weight training partners turn up for our nightly training session. But I could also stay after and do cardio then.

I've searched the history of the forum and couldn't find anything specific along these lines ...

So my question is, knowing my goal to bulk AND my need to keep my heart healthy is cardio before or after weights better for me? and why?

Or is it a case of who gives a shit - it's all the same?

do in morning if u train at arvo/night... eat then cardio then eat again...

Yep, if you can do it in the morning that'd be ideal as it keeps it separate from your weights. But if you can only do it during the same session, I'd do it after the weights so you can put 100% effort into the weights, then grind out whatever you can on the cardio.

As Mr Nat said as a general rule.

However as you're trying to bulk & mention fitness rather than fatloss I would be eating/shake etc during weights before jumping on the cardio gear.

Just my opinion but if you're eating a meal say at 3pm, then a snack preworkout at 4.45ish, weights from 5-6, then 45 minutes cardio, and waiting to get home to eat (lets say 7.15pm), its a long time to be hungry! If bulking you want to remain anabolic, which in my book means keeping well fed!

Just a thought.

The time between eating is definitely an issue in my case.

I'll usually have my last eats at work at about 4:30. Work out starts at 6pm, and if I'm riding I don't get home til about 8pm when I have a protien shake before eating dinner. (if I'm not riding eg. on Quads day, then I have the protien shake at about 7:30 when leaving the gym).

Thanks nate. Food for thought on my meal timings .... need to restructure things slightly

• 1 year later...

I had read somewhere that cardio straight after weights increases fat loss quite dramatically.

In Russia for the KB athletes they do running after every workout (3 to 5km) for mental fortitude. Someone mentioned that it deals with lactic acid, but I am not so sure about that.

JD

Good read guys! have always been put off by doing anything more than walking for my cardio as i'd hate to lose what little muscle is already there. Will also try what Nate said and hope to shed a few kilos of fat stores.

Good luck with yours Cameron

^dom you be hijacking dis here thread.

OP, What is your current weight? stats? you say you're bulking? how much calories you taking in? I think keeping cardio in is great, you just gotta be smart about it if you're serious about bulking. On a bulk, then keep it separate. If you choose to do it purely to relieve stress levels, then keep it separate from weights. You'll be burning alot of calories doing both so your food intake will need to be high, higher than your expend.

• 2 weeks later...