Weightloss And Getting Fit Help

JoshyEee

Hi, New to the forum.

I've come to the conclusion its time for me to lose the fat around tummy/chest which i currently have and to get fit again.

Height: 175cm ish

Weight: Unsure but think its around the 80-90kg mark

Diet: None at the moment, but will be cutting out the chips and fizzy drink.

Breakfast: Toast. Morning tea: Small bag of chips/Muffin Lunch: Sandwich (Ham/cheese). Afternoon tea: Junk food. Tea: Normally a serving of meat + potatoes/carrots.

Gym: Don't have the money

Equipment owned: Mountain bike. Running shoes.

I have my course from 8am - 1pm, then work from 4-8. so was trying to find something to fill in between course and work. Work all day Sunday.

I'm not a huge fan of running/jogging, but i'm perfectly happy cycling.

Have a few questions,

Would cycling help with the weight loss or is there a better alternative?

How far/ how Long should i be cycling for each day?

How many days a week? i was thinking Monday-Friday.

Where would be best place to cycle? Road? Beach? Plantation?

Sorry if im in the wrong subforum, wasnt too sure where to post.

Any advice is welcome :)

Thanks in Advance

Josh

Hey Josh

Welcome - and some thoughts on your questions

Would cycling help with the weight loss or is there a better alternative?

Sure, cycling's a great form of cardio. One of the key things is you've got to want to/ be able to do it. What, doesn't matter so much.

How far/ how Long should i be cycling for each day?
It's more about the intensity. High Intensity Interval Training is better for fat burning than Low-Intensity Steady State - the effects on your metabolism from HIIT last longer than LISS.

Depending on how hard you're working, and given the limits on your time, I'd suggest kicking-off with thirty minutes, weekdays. Of course, whether you get results also depends on dialling-in the diet

How many days a week? i was thinking Monday-Friday.
See above
Where would be best place to cycle? Road? Beach? Plantation?
You've got a mountain bike, so maybe rather than beach, either a ride through the trees (where you're forever accelerating/decelerating), or over the Port Hills on Sunday for the climbing.

What I'd recommend is maybe finding a route, close to home, that takes 30 mins out-and-back, and then after 5m of warm-up, try to cover it in intervals of 10x 30s flat-out, 30s cruising (10 minutes), 2m recovery, 10x 60s on, 30s off (another 15 mins).

For added gains, do it before breakfast - so-called 'fasted cardio' is one of the better times to do it.

Simple gains on your diet - ditch the morning and afternoon tea and put the money towards some trays of chicken-breast. Grill or bake them, they keep in the fridge, and take them, along with some celery sticks or broccoli, for nibbles. Chicken's hellish expensive (worse than porterhouse steak) except on special, but if you were to total up how much the chips/ mornos/ fizz/ junk costs, you'd be surprised.

• 4 weeks later...